Available in USA only.
“One of the best films of the year.” — Edge Magazine
From out lesbian director Celine Sciamma (Water Lilies), Tomboy tells the story of 10-year-old Laure (played by the amazing Zoe Heran) who moves to the suburbs and decides to pass as a boy amongst the pack of neighborhood kids. As “Mikael” she catches the attention of leader of the pack Lisa, who becomes smitten with her. At home with her parents and younger sister Jeanne, she is Laure; while hanging out with her new pals and girlfriend, she is Mikael. Finding resourceful ways to hide her true self, Laure takes advantage of her new identity, as if the end of the summer would never reveal her unsettling secret.
Writer-director Céline Sciamma brings a light and charming touch to this contemporary coming-of-age story which deftly explores relationships between children and their peers; between children and their parents; and the even more complicated relationship between one’s heart and one’s body.
Tomboy‘s hugely successful US theatrical release has earned the film rave reviews and fans across the country.
Awards & Press Quotes
- WINNER! Jury Award, Best Performance, Zoe Heran – Newfest, New York LGBT Film Festival
- WINNER! Audience Award, Best Feature – FRAMELINE San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival
- WINNER! Best Narrative Feature – Seattle Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- WINNER! Best Feature – Torino International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- WINNER! Teddy Jury Award – Berlin International Film Festival
- WINNER! Audience Award, Best Foreign Film – Pittsburgh International Film Festival
- WINNER! Jury Prize, Best Feature – Philadelphia International LGBT Film Festival
- WINNER! Audience Award, Best Film – Dublin Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
- WINNER! Golden Duke, Best Film – Odessa International Film Festival
- WINNER! Best Actress, Zoe Heran – Buenos Aires International Film Festival
- WINNER! FIPRESCI Prize – Buenos Aires International Film Festival
- “One of the best films of the year.” — Edge Magazine
- #1 on The Best Overlooked Films List for 2011 — The Advocate
- “Remarkable… flawless… a triumph.” – Kathryn Schroeder, FilmFracture.com
- “Magnificent.” — Mark Fulton, Film Threat
- “A charm… my favorite film of the year so far.” – Paul Heath, The Hollywood News
- “A small French gem.” – Mike Goodridge, Screen Daily
- “Reminiscent of such landmark adolescent movies as Francois Truffaut’s The 400 Blows.” – Jordan Mintzer, The Hollywood Reporter
- “A delight to watch.” – Jenika Katz, Flixist.com